Setting Financial Goals - Part 3
Other Blogs on this Topic

(This is Part 3 of a three part series. See also: Part 1 and Part 2. Or you may want to start at the very beginning of this thread.)

There are a lot of personal finance blogs on the Internet where people are very open about their finances. In this post, I will focus on the blogs that talk specifically about finance goals. I find it interesting to look at these since it offers a lot of motivation and incentive for me to push myself. And having several different perspectives on any given issue can't hurt. Here is the list I have so far... I will keep it updated when I come across any other blogs that talk specifically about setting goals. In the mean time, if you are a blogger and have a post about this topic, or you have a favorite blog that you want to add, please feel free to leave a comment.

If there is only one other blog that you will read today, its got to be PFBlog.com. This blog has been around for some time now and chronicles the author's quest to become a millionaire by age 40 (restated to age 36, due to the success the author has had so far !). It is a great motivation for me to read the authors progress. I think the readers of ISPF may find it interesting too, because it looks like the author might have been an international student himself, not too long ago :)

Then, of course, there is the post at www.getrichslowly.org that helped me a lot to figure out my goals. When I started reading personal finance blogs, I came across several articles about setting goals. Most of them were either specific to the authors goals, or too general to be of much help. This article was the first one that got me started on thinking through this systematically. Most of the authors other posts are also very well written and organised, so while you are there, you might want to read some of his other posts too, specially in the "planning" category (right side-bar).

myopenwallet.blogspot.com is another personal finance blog that I frequent and would definitely recommend. The author has a nice witty take on matters related to money. And if you practise living by atleast some of her "My Rules" (left sidebar), I guarantee you, you will make it to your long-term goals a lot faster than you thought possible!

mymoneyblog.com, has an interesting article where the author has posted his networth tracked over the period of one decade, starting from the time he was a student! You can follow the links through that page to view the authors goals or click on the "goals" category in the right sidebar where the author has over 50 posts. A while back the author also had an interesting experiment with prizes for those who particpated ! The author seems to have a nice following of loyal readers, who post comments regularly, making the blogs read a little like a friendly forum or discussion board :)

www.2millionblog.com, as the name suggests, is the author's quest to reach 2 million dollars + the value of his primary residence. In this article, the author discusses the action plan for getting there. Each of the embedded links makes an interesting read. If you are a fresh grad pressed for time, I encourage you to read atleast the first article "Living like a college student".

Thats it for now. I am sure there are many, many more intereting articles out there. Between a full time job, home maintenance and residual Ph.D. work, there is only so much time I have left for reading blogs :( If you are a blogger with an interesting article on this matter or if you have a blog that you really like, please share it with the rest of us through the "comments" section below. Thanks.



If you like this article, you can bookmark it or subscribe to the feed.

1 Comment:

Madame X said...

Thanks for the mention!